Imma Let You...Keep Talking

After years of private reflection and discussion, my wife Amy has decided to come out as bisexual, and I couldn’t be prouder of her. She is the model of persistence and courage. If growing up as a woman of color within conservative evangelicalism wasn’t enough, becoming aware of her sexual identity has been a slow and anxiety-filled journey of discovery. I encourage you to read her post.

And that’s about all I am going to say, because this isn’t my story to tell. It is so tempting for straight allies to loudly announce their allyship, especially when you have a public platform as a writer and scholar, as I do. But straight allies need to learn to hand over the mic, give up the stage, and step aside for those who have been silenced and marginalized for far too long. So to reverse Kanye’s infamous interruption: “imma let you keep talking.”

Keep talking, Amy. And for the rest of us, let’s keep listening.

Comments