Thinking Bloggers Meme

After being nominated here, here, and here as a ‘thinking blogger,’ I think it is about time that I mention five thinking bloggers who challenge me to think more critically and deeply about theology. Of course, naming only five bloggers is a rather arbitrary task, since there are far more than five blogs worth placing in such a list. I will not include Faith & Theology (the fabulous blog by Ben Myers), since this blog need not be nominated for such an award; it should already be a given that Ben's blog is the standard by which the rest of us measure ourselves.

That said, here are five ‘thinking blogs’ that I enjoy. Granted, this list is a bit nepotistic, but I honestly think these are five of the best thinking blogs on the web.

Inhabitatio Dei
Halden Doerge is a fellow Portlander who is a sharp thinker and one of the most well-read persons I have ever met in my life. He was reading theology before I even knew what theology was, and yet we’re the same age! His blog focuses especially on ecclesiology and the relation between theology and culture (not surprisingly, he is involved in the journal, Cultural Encounters). On a side note, he also enjoys craft ales and pipe tobacco, two of my favorite pleasures in this world. I look forward to chatting about theology with him this summer at a local pub.

Der Evangelische Theologe
WTM is fellow PTS student and one of the most promising young theologians that I know. He is a very clear, direct thinker who is rooted in the Reformed tradition (his interests include Calvin, Vermigli, Turretin, and Barth). I go to him when I need to gain clarity in my dogmatic thinking. WTM is especially interested in the work of T. F. Torrance and in the conception of theology as a science.

Disruptive Grace
Chris TerryNelson is a PTS student who has done work on the Barth and Brunner debate over natural theology and hopes to continue working on Barth’s theology. He is particularly interested in the relation between theology and politics, but his posts run the gamut from the eucharist to epistemology. Chris and I first “met” online, and it has been a rewarding friendship ever since.

Drulogion
John Drury is a PhD student at PTS who writes weekly posts on important aspects of the Christian faith with the intention of sparking discussion. His posts always end with questions; they encourage dialogue rather than shutting it down, which is an indication of his character. Two of my favorite series at Drulogion are Bible Brain Busters and Attributes of God. All of his posts are well worth reading.

Scholasticus
Shane Wilkins is a young philosopher who knows scholastic thought like the back of his hand. He is particularly interested in the work of Henry of Ghent, Thomas Aquinas, and John Duns Scotus. His blog includes many fascinating explorations of scholastic theology and philosophy with an eye toward contemporary problems. We can expect much from him in the years to come; at the very least, I can always expect extremely well thought out arguments whenever he leaves a comment online.


This is a lamentably short list. Other ‘thinking bloggers’ that merit attention include: Without Authority by Thomas Adams, On Journeying with those in Exile by Dan O., Millinerd by Matthew Milliner, Levellers by Michael Westmoreland-White, Historical Theology by Darren Sumner. All of these other blogs were in my top five list at some point, and I recommend them just as highly as the ones above.

Comments

Halden said…
Thanks for the tag! When will you be in Portland? I, too look forward to some time at the Horse Brass and other pubs.
Thanks Dave! I'll have my own post about this up shortly...
Ben Myers said…
Excellent choices, David -- and thanks for your kind words about F&T!
Shane said…
Thanks David!
Anonymous said…
Well, I see we each stuck the other in the "also thinking bloggers" category, David. :-) I wanted to nominate you, but I was trying NOT to put all my choices in the theology category, but spread them out through different types of blogs I read.

Well deserved and long overdue.
Thomas Adams said…
Thanks for including me in your honorable mention category, David! Along with F&T, you set the bar high for theology blogs.