1. Interpretation is translation—specifically, translation from one culture to another, from one time and place to another time and place.
2. The Bible is a document written within a particular cultural location, a specific time and place.
3. We live in a cultural location that is radically different from that of the Bible.
4. In order to interpret the Bible, we need to engage in cultural translation.
5. Ergo, something like Bultmann’s program of demythologization is a crucial necessity for the church if we are going to understand the biblical text.